How to Jump Start a Car
You will likely need a jump start, car battery service, or something similar if your vehicle won’t start. Among these, the first option is the most likely. Need to know how to properly jump start a car? Follow this handy guide from Dick's Country Chrysler Jeep Dodge so you don’t need to call a jump start car service. Battery is nearing the end of its life? Visit our service center near Forest Grove for a replacement.
The Proper Way to Jump Start a Car
You’ll only need a set of jumper cables and another vehicle to jump start your car properly. You can also call a jump start car service like AAA. Once you’ve got that settled, follow these steps:
- Have the car with the good battery park facing the other vehicle, then make sure that vehicle is turned off. Check to make sure both parking brakes are engaged.
- Open both hoods and find the batteries. You may need to remove a plastic hood to expose the battery terminals.
- Identify the positive and negative terminals. Make sure they’re clean and free of any corrosion.
- Connect the red clamp to the positive post on the dead battery.
- Uncoiling the battery cable, hook the other red clamp to the positive terminal of the battery with the charge.
- Connect the black clamp to the negative post on the good battery.
- For the final clamp, connect it to an unpainted metal surface on the car’s frame.
- Once everything is hooked up securely, start the engine of the vehicle with the good battery first, then the one with the dead battery.
- Once the dead vehicle has been jump-started, carefully remove the jumper cables in the reverse order that they were placed on, then shut off the car that was used to help jump-start the dead car.
- Keep the engine running on the restarted vehicle for at least 10 minutes to ensure that the weak battery doesn’t die again right away. Consult your owner’s manual for more info on recommended times.
More Battery Tips and Tricks
Car won’t jump start? If it’s not a more serious problem, you may just need a battery replacement. Take these steps to figure out what the problem is:
- If starting the car only creates a clicking sound, the starter might be broken. Schedule service at Dick's Country Chrysler Jeep Dodge near Aloha for a replacement.
- If the car’s electrical systems turn on, but the engine fails to turn over, the problem could be an ignition switch, battery, starter, fuse, or any number of problems. Again, bring your vehicle to our service center so the issue can be diagnosed.
- Be sure to keep your vehicle running for a while after getting the jump. That allows the battery to recharge fully after it’s been drained.
Turn to Dick's Country Chrysler Jeep Dodge for Service
Whether you need help with a new battery or an oil change, our service center can help. We’re located just a short trip from Beaverton, so visit us or contact us with any questions. <div class=”well”><h2>More From Dick's Country Chrysler Jeep Dodge</h2>
How much can a Jeep Wrangler tow? When properly equipped, the 2019 Jeep Wrangler towing capacity can max out at 3,500 pounds. That’s the same whether you choose the 2.0L turbocharged engine or the 3.6L Pentastar V6 – plenty of power for your next adventure. Learn more about new Jeep Wrangler towing capabilities here with…
Trying to find a family vehicle that delivers the impressive 4×4 capabilities of an off-road legend? Check out the new Jeep Grand Cherokee for sale. Grand Cherokee dimensions, cargo space, technology, and comfort keep Forest Grove area drivers happy, especially compared to Explorer. Learn more about them with Dick's Country Chrysler Jeep Dodge, no matter which trim level you choose,…
What exactly is the RAM 2500 towing capacity? The new RAM 2500 for sale is a powerful pickup truck with the power to handle any job site in Forest Grove! Tow heavier equipment and get more done with two available engine options that earn performance specs to haul tens of thousands of pounds. Critics and drivers…